The story of Fowwa’s Fez factory
Long before Fowwa was known for its Kiliim-making, it was designated to become a hub for fez, or tarboosh, manufacturing by Muhammed Ali Pasha. The Fowwa Fez Factory was opened on the 26th of September, 1824. A Moroccan fez specialist was appointed by the ruler to construct and then manage the factory. The tarabeesh were mainly manufactured for the Egyptian military at the time, however the surplus was exported to Morocco and Tunisia.
This is a picture of the gate of the factory, the only standing reminder of the factory’s existence. Before the main factory building was torn down, it was used as the town movie theater and wedding hall.