Kiliim Loader
kiliim chat icon NEED HELP? CHAT WITH US

Stories diagonal pattern

Kiliim’s youngest craftsman in the making

This is Mostafa, the son of one of our craftsmen. He built his own mini-loom to practice his weaving skills after school; aspiring to be just like his father.

We aim to create a culture where the young people of Fowa can take pride and continue to see potential in the craft of their ancestors.

#KiliimStories

READ MORE

Rabae’ El Khatayba

Fowa used to be a central hub for trade; pictured here is Raba’ El Khatayba built in the 19th Century. Being one of Fowa’s landmarks & biggest historical trade venues, it was used as a guest house for traders passing by the city as well as a marketplace to store and display the goods. #KiliimStories

READ MORE

Tales of Geziret ElDahab

Geziret ElDahab is one of Fowwa’s most picturesque landmarks, however it is legend to many tales. It is claimed by the locals to have been the home to a Pharonic queen, Fawa, of which the village was named. Upon her death, her entire savings of gold and other treasures are claimed to have been buried underneath the island, and the only way to access this tomb, is through a complex labyrinth of cursed passageways that begin underneath the mosque of Sidi Abou ElNasr, another famous Fowwa landmark. Tales have been told about men who have attempted to claim the gold but never made it back alive.

READ MORE

Fowwa: An open museum

Fowwa is ranked third in Egyptian Islamic cities and fourth in the world, as it’s home to exactly 365 mosques, domes, and Islamic monuments; equal to the number of days in a year; allowing UNESCO to choose Fowwa as a world heritage site.

Pictured here is one of Fowwa’s largest mosques, Abu El Makarem, built in 1850 A.D. in remembrance of Azhar Sheikh El Sayed Abu El Makarem who introduced Sufism in Fowwa.#KiliimStories

READ MORE

The story of Fowwa’s Fez factory

Long before Fowwa was known for its Kiliim-making, it was designated to become a hub for fez, or tarboosh, manufacturing by Muhammed Ali Pasha. The Fowwa Fez Factory was opened on the 26th of September, 1824. A Moroccan fez specialist was appointed by the ruler to construct and then manage the factory. The tarabeesh were mainly manufactured for the Egyptian military at the time, however the surplus was exported to Morocco and Tunisia.

This is a picture of the gate of the factory, the only standing reminder of the factory’s existence. Before the main factory building was torn down, it was used as the town movie theater and wedding hall.

#KiliimStories

READ MORE

SIGN IN

SIGN UP

SIGN IN